We’ve all been there. Alarm goes off and you can’t believe it’s already time to get up. Dry mouth, contacts still in, and a pounding headache. [omg stop… it’s making me feel hungover and I’m not] It may be that you went all in last night or maybe you only had a few glasses of wine… OR, even worse, you didn’t even feel that drunk! Wtf. Now what? No time to lounge around because we’ve got a hefty to-do list. So how can we get back on our feet ASAP?
Why is this even happening?
I have always known that my drinking choices led me to feel so shitty the next day… but I have never looked into more detail behind it. [teach me!] According to the Mayo Clinic, hangovers are caused by:
- Dehydration – I know I’m guilty of “breaking the seal” too early with my first trip to the ladies’ room… I guess I’m just kick starting my hangover for the next day!
- Irritation of the stomach lining – all those late night trips to 99¢ Pizza [or chicken and rice from the street cart]? Not sure if that helped or hurt my stomach lining…
- Low blood sugar – those beautiful (and sugary) cocktails aren’t doing their job.
- Lack of good quality sleep – I have always known I can knock out for 10 hrs straight after a night out but the tossing and turning is clearly killing my beauty sleep. [10 hours? I wish! …and you’re the worst for even saying that out loud]
Will I ever feel normal again?
Here’s the thing – we’re all pros. We know our bodies and we have figured out what makes us feel better down to a science. But is a cheeseburger and a Diet Coke really the most efficient way to go? Let’s think this through:
- Water. Water. Water. What do you think those fancy IVs your favorite Influencer is getting do? Hydrate. Some of my faves to speed the hydration process along are tried and true Gatorade or pop a Nuun tablet in a tall glass of H2O.
- Take care of the tum tum… with some Tums… (jk that was too easy). While it may be really tempting to reach for that greasy breakfast sandwich as you roll out of bed, would you eat that if you had a stomach bug? Probably not. We stay away from greasy and spicy foods as well as caffeine. That strikes out that black coffee as well. Stay bland and starchy. Now is your chance to bring out your inner Oprah and reach for that loaf of bread instead. My go to is Ritz Crackers [or saltines] – they really hit the spot.
- Keeping your blood sugar up will come as you eat throughout the day, but if you really need a jump start, try a glass of OJ or a banana. These will help jump start your energy so you can actually get out the door.
- Lastly, and most importantly, take a nap! If you can, of course. [I feel like that was meant for me] This is not me encouraging you to crouch under your desk during lunch (however, if you have the guts to do so more power to you – nap on). The more sleep you can get the better you feel. Worst thing you can do is proceed to stay up the next night until 2am watching Netflix. Just go to bed.
I’m never going to drink again.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let’s not get hasty. [I did cut liquor out for a year after my 21st birthday, wasn’t a tough choice at that point] Now that we know the causes – let’s think about being preventative. As my boss always says – be proactive, not reactive.
- Water is your friend. Shots of water can be cool too. No one will know the difference! If I am really going hard I have gotten in the habit of setting water alarms on my phone – every hour I’ll get a little reminder to help protect my today self from my tomorrow self.
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach. Go to dinner with your girls before heading out or binge those snacks at the pregame. It will be worth it tomorrow.
- Stay plain and don’t mix! Avoid the super sweet cocktails or the dark liquors. The clearer the better. I know it’s basic AF – but vodka sodas are a girl’s best friend for a reason! Low cal and easy on the tummy. Also, stick to one thing – don’t start with wine and end with tequila… you can thank me later.
- Finally, get some sleep. Nothing that fun is happening after midnight. I am the queen of FOMO, so trust me, I know it’s hard to walk away – but I am also the queen of sleeping and your body will be forever grateful for those extra few hours. It’s a marathon – not a sprint.
Now, while this all may seem like common sense, I’ll be the first to admit I don’t obey these rules – and I always feel it later. However, I hope this gives you some confidence to relax and enjoy that last drink of the evening stress free. When in doubt, you know you can always lean on Goody’s Hangover Powders for a quick pick-me-up!
Any other good tips and tricks to avoiding that pesky hangover? Let us know!