Indian weddings are an EVENT, and that may be an understatement. If you haven’t attended one before, and have an invite, you’re in for a very fun and colorful ride! If you’ve attended an Indian wedding you know that it is a few days of fun and then you have the emotional and physical hangover from a great time. [emphasis on the physical hangover] It requires planning and getting organized with each outfit. Channel Dorit from RHOBH showing off each outfit via Instagram with fashion week energy. Is it needed? No. But is it fabulous? Yes.
Where to begin
How many events do you have on the agenda? For each one you’ll want to plan what you’re wearing from the outfit, shoes, and jewelry, to the other accessories. You don’t need to go to India to find the most trendy outfits. [were people actually doing this?!]
Think through each event with this quick checklist:
1 – Identify your vibe. Are you going modern Indian fashion or traditional? [I’m the worst at this – I don’t think I know the difference] This may vary based on the event. For a Mehndi, pick a trend. For a wedding, you can make something more traditional work with a sprinkle of high fashion.
2 – Do your shopping ahead of time. Do you want to try things on or are you ok with taking the online route with the risk of needing altering? [always online. Hot take – altering is better than shopping in person]
- Edison, NJ…iykyk. Truly little India, from shops to restaurants. Nazranaa is one of the best places to find wedding wear for both men and women. From custom bridal options to home ceremony, more casual needs. They are always on top of trends and have in house tailoring as an option to ensure things are done right and on time.
- For online options there are a few reliable sites that have various sizing options and delivery in a reasonable amount of time. Kalki Fashion and Utsav are good quick options where you can’t go wrong.
- You’ll find lots of custom options, but if you want to stand out and make a real statement Julkee Fashion is your go to. I’ve always liked her creative designs and use of traditional Indian clothes in very modern ways. Order with time so you can snag a custom design!
3 – Bling bling [I don’t think anyone has used the term since 2004…until now], one of the most important parts to an outfit for an Indian wedding. What jewelry are you sporting because it ties everything together. There is always the option of real jewels, and if you got it, flaunt it. However, the costume jewelry scene these days is no joke – sometimes you can’t tell what’s real vs. not.
- Jewels by Sunaina has never done me wrong. Full set options and they look stunning in person. They also do flash sales, so follow on Instagram for more details as well.
- Art Karat is a very well known costume jewelry site, and the quality is fantastic along with the number of overall options.
- Most clothing sites will also sell jewelry but I’ve always preferred the above for something a little more stand out.
4 – PACK WELL! There is typically not a lot of time between events and chances are you may have been drinking and can’t quite focus on putting together a look. Therefore, packing looks prior to travel is key. I’ve grown to LOVE my packing cubes, for both long and short term travel. [OK – now these are something my oCD needs] They keep things sectioned, organized, and help you prevent forgetting things.
What are some of your go to options? Share in the comments for us (or just me) to try them out!