My favorite season is summer but my favorite season for clothes is fall. In NYC fall seems like a brief moment in time, it passes so quickly so you better be prepared with your fall wardrobe before the season has come and gone! [ugh… I don’t want winter to be here]
Instead of flipping your whole closet you just need a few staples to help enhance your current closet set up. [lOL this is the exact opposite of what I told everyone a couple days ago] Here are a few items I am excited to wear — and excited to force my sister to get and wear too!
Faux Leather Leggings – fashion meets function, you can’t go wrong with a nice pair of faux leather leggings to pair with an oversized sweater or sweatshirt for a more casual look. Spanx makes the most comfortable pair, which also helps you feel secure… if you know what I mean.
Oversized sweaters – there are a few that I have on permanent rotation, the beauty of an oversized sweater is that it lets you feel comfortable but also is one step elevated from a hoodie. [I always intend for my sweaters to be oversized but then I end up shrinking them] Wear it paired with the leggings I mentioned above, or a pair of jeans and boots.
- H&M has some fantastic options at reasonable prices. If you have a nice long neck [weirdest compliment I’ve ever heard… “lookin good giraffe!”], go for the loose turtlenecks. For those, like my sister, who feel claustrophobic in a turtleneck, this Something Navy coil neck sweater comes in a few colors and is a nice in between option.
Dresses!! – I was the little girl who disliked dresses growing up, mainly because I was self conscious. Fast forward to high school and college and dresses were all you’d find in my closet. They were easy one piece options, versatile, and you had options for day or night.
- For work, Banana Republic does the best job with dresses that transition well from day time meetings to happy hour drinks. This off the shoulder sweater dress can be dressed up or down and is a great staple for your fall wardrobe. Throw on a blazer for the office and show off your shoulder for post work drinks.
- For a weekend date night, Amazon has some great dresses that look great with heels or boots. [I legit get all my clothes off amazon] This V-neck wrap dress is comfortable and a head turner, another plus… it comes in many colors. Splurge and get two 🙂
Outerwear – there are so many options for fall outerwear, but I’ve picked just a few. Furry coats, vests, textures, and blazers. You don’t need them all, but 1-2 of them will elevate jeans and a t-shirt or a basic dress.
- Fluffy faux shearling jacket – two trends in one, puffy and shearling. Enjoy… you won’t regret this purchase.
Step up the leather jacket game – there are many options out there, here is one from Asos that isn’t too expensive but also hits the faux leather department
- Ponchos, the best thing to happen for girls like me who like their pizza and pasta, and unbutton their jeans after a meal. This oversized Free People Poncho is amazing, comes in a few colors… thank me later. [ahh I can’t get into this trend – I hope you didn’t get me one]
What are some of your fall closet staples? What do I need to buy and try?